Thanks to the ever-evolving global business landscapes, the oil and gas industry has become highly competitive. With international interests, changing international diplomacies and an increased interest of countries like China, the Oil and Gas production industry is no longer what it used to be a few years ago.
13 key elements of Tanker Management and Self Assessment (TMSA)
Functioning as a reliable framework and standard against which all safety management systems (SMS) can be measured, Tanker Management and Self Assessment (TMSA) programs have 13 key elements. The up-to-date KPIs for each one of the below listed elements are defined in the TMSA3. Shipping operators must conduct a self assessment and tag a rating for their SMS.
The 13 key elements of Tanker Management and Self Assessment (TMSA) are:
- Leadership and Safety Management System (SMS)
- Shore-based human resource recruitment and management
- Vessel human resource recruitment, management and well-being
- Reliability and maintenance of vessel, including critical equipment
- Navigational safety
- Operations related to cargo, ballast, tank cleaning, bunkering, mooring and anchoring
- Change management
- Reporting of incidents with thorough investigation and analysis
- Safety management
- Environmental and energy management
- Preparedness for emergencies and contingency planning
- Measurement, analysis and improvement
- Maritime security (this is the latest addition to these elements)
Benefits of Tanker Management and Self Assessment (TMSA)
TMSA programs allow vessel operators to keep in check and comply with the increasing maritime regulations. Certain aspects of the TMSA contribute to environmental wellbeing by ensuring responsibility from vessel operators on these matters. It is also overall a rather cost-effective solution.
The main advantages of TMSA are:
- Raise the Safety Management System (SMS) standards
- Continued refinement of safety management
- Maintenance via a preventative approach
- Decrease unprecedented incidents, breakdowns and delays
- Fewer incidents result in fewer insurance costs which equates with increased savings
Over time, TMSA has functioned as a credible and widely accepted tool to boost safety standards. Over 90% of all shipping operators employ the TMSA as part of their processes.